Family Planning Victoria has created video resources in partnership with The Department of Education and Training to assist secondary school teachers delivering lessons about young people accessing health services.
Topics covered are:
- Rights to treatment
- Consent to treatment
- Medical competency
- Young people accessing services independently
- Obtaining a Medicare card
- Making an appointment and possible costs
- Accessing local services
Find video resource on FUSE
Guiding questions for use with video resource:
- At the beginning what concerns did Bella have when talking to her friend?
- Why would the doctor see Bella and Chad separately?
- Bella was hoping to go on the pill, the doctor prescribed Implanon for her. Why would that be?
- Should both partners go to the doctor?
- At the doctors, what concerns did Bella have?
Other information to include in classroom discussion:
- A young person’s legal right to confidential medical treatment.
- Occasions when a health professional may need to share health information (consider also discussing other mandatory reporters such as teachers, school principals, youth workers etc.).
- Consent to treatment.
- Age of consent to sex.
- The benefits of having the support of a parent, carer or trusted adult to help when considering health and making decisions.
Further FPV Professional Learning:
We talk to FPV’s Nurse Educator Sam Read. Young people often ask questions about sexual health information and seek information about how to protect their privacy. Sam talks about what it takes for a young person to get themselves to the doctor. What age can someone see a doctor on their own? Does a parent have to know if a young person has been prescribed contraception? What even is Medicare and the My Health record?
- Legal Aid Victoria – Am I Old Enough
- Medicare- Getting your own Medicare card at 15
- My Health Record for teens
- Rosie Respect – sexual health article
- 1800myoptions - For information about contraception, pregnancy options and sexual health in Victoria
- See also supporting documents and lesson ideas on FUSE