Unplanned Pregnancy

Am I pregnant?

If you have had unprotected sex and think you may be pregnant you can buy a pregnancy test (from the pharmacy or supermarket) or see a doctor or nurse.

illustration of doctor listening to patient

A pregnancy test will not usually be accurate until around the time your period is due. If you do the test too early, it may give you a false (incorrect) result.

What are my options?

If you have had sex in the last five days and do not want to be pregnant you can use emergency contraception such as the emergency contraceptive pill  or copper IUD

If you are pregnant and do not want to be it is your choice what you would like to do. Unplanned pregnancy is very common and there are many support services available. You have the following options:

  • Having an abortion 
  • Continuing the pregnancy and parenting 
  • Continuing the pregnancy and adopting                     

Where can I get help?

You can speak to your doctor or nurse or visit a family planning clinic to discuss your options.

Some people find talking with their partner, family or friends can help.

Having an abortion:

In Victoria, if you want to end the pregnancy, you can arrange to have:

Only a small number of clinics provide surgical abortion after 12 weeks of pregnancy. You can contact a family planning clinic for more information.

Most methods of contraception can be started at the time or very soon after having an abortion.

Abortion laws are different in each state and territory. Early abortion (up to 12 weeks) is available Australia wide. Later abortion is available in most states and territories.

Continuing the pregnancy and parenting:

If you want to become a parent, prenatal (pregnancy) care is important for your health and your baby. See a doctor or nurse about your health, childbirth options, and referral to a hospital and other support services.  

Continuing the pregnancy and adopting:

Adoption is when you voluntarily give up all your legal rights and responsibilities in relation to your  baby and the adoptive parents become the baby’s legal parents.  The Victorian government has some information to help you with adoption.

You might be interested in watching:

Where to get more information, support or advice

Easy English version

This information is available in Easy English format.

This is general information only, you should speak to your doctor or nurse for professional advice. 

Last updated: 28 June 2018