Intrauterine Device (IUD) insertion training is available at our Box Hill and Action Centre (Melbourne CBD) clinics, and in partnership with a small number of other clinics.
Family Planning Victoria's IUD insertion course consists of:
- Online theory component (approx. 6 hours) which includes:
- Video presentations
- Videos of IUD consultations and insertions
- Readings from Contraception: An Australian Clinical Practice Handbook
- Interactive quizzes
- Online assessment of knowledge (approx.1 hour)
- IUD insertion clinical placements with aim to attain IUD insertion competency (usually 3-4 half day sessions)
- Online evaluation and reinforcing activity
Who would benefit from this course?
This course is suited to experienced GPs who have a desire to provide IUD insertions for their patients and have at least 10 patients per year who require IUD insertion.
As IUD insertion is at the highest skill end of primary care women’s health practice, course participants are required to be at an appropriate level of experience to participate, including experience in contraceptive counselling, speculum and bimanual pelvic examination skills.
Before applying for this course, you should check:
- You have support from practice manager/practice owner. Please consider that equipment may need to be purchased such as an adjustable examination bed, preferably with stirrups (or a specialised positioning pad), and instruments. A nurse to assist with all IUD insertions is essential. Be aware that bulk billing is unlikely to cover your costs in providing IUD insertions.
- You are covered for IUD insertions with your medical indemnity company
All course participants completing any of their clinical placements at FPV sites must obtain a national police check (included in course cost) through FPV. This must be processed and passed before placement can commence, which can take over a week.
Training sessions must be booked within three months and completed within six months of course registration.
Course participants completing any of their clinical placements at an FPV partnership clinic may have other compliance requirements.
Entry requirements / Eligibility
Medical Practitioners: This course is primarily for GPs who have completed their GP training and have established their practice. GPs who are considering moving practice are advised to delay training until they are established in a clinic that has the capacity to support IUD insertions.
GPs in training, including GP registrars and those working towards fellowship are not eligible for this course.
GPs who have many years of experience working in Australia and do not have their fellowship should contact us directly to discuss their specific circumstances.
Nurse Practitioners may be eligible for the course and should contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
All doctors and nurse practitioners must be working in Victoria to be eligible to both apply for and to undertake this course.
A certificate in IUD insertion competency is awarded to participants who successfully complete both the online and clinical competency assessments.
Accreditation / Recognition
RACGP: 40 Category 1 Women’s Health points apply (accredited as Active Learning Module).
Full course fee - $1,120 GST free
There are limited course places with Bayer sponsorship for the clinical placements at FPV. Sponsored course fee - $580 GST free
This course has very high demand for places. There are limited places due to the clinical training component. This course has eligibility criteria and a wait list (currently around 6 - 10 months). Registration for the course is by invitation.
Click the Register button to complete the eligibility questionnaire.