Delivered over two days, the course provides professional development to support the delivery of reproductive and sexual health information to individuals with cognitive disability (which includes intellectual disability, autism spectrum disorder and acquired brain injury).
Topics covered include (but are not limited to):
- understanding personal and social values and attitudes and the potential impact on information provision
- self-esteem and self-concept
- human rights and responsibilities
- knowledge of community resources and organisations
- basic knowledge and understanding of sexuality development across the lifespan, including anatomy and physiology of human sexuality, sexual function and dysfunction, pregnancy, birth and contraception, reproductive and sub-fertility issues, and sexuality events in the lifecycle
- diversity including sexual orientation and gender identity
- communicating effectively with clients about sexuality.
Who would benefit from this course?
This course has been contextualised for disability professionals, social workers, youth workers, Aboriginal workers, and other allied health professionals and service providers who want to provide reproductive and sexual health information to clients with cognitive disability.
Certificate in CHCEDU003: Provide sexual and reproductive health information to clients.
- Determine the sexual and reproductive health information needs of clients with cognitive disability and provide appropriate information in a non-judgemental manner
- Demonstrate essential knowledge required to effectively complete tasks outlined in the elements and performance criteria of the unit, manage tasks and manage contingencies in the context of the work role.
Accreditation / Recognition
This course has CPD endorsed by the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).
This course is accredited through the Australian Skills Qualifications Authority (ASQA).
$585.00 (GST free) including morning and afternoon tea.
2017 Scholarship Opportunity
FPV are very pleased to offer a Health Professional Scholarship for this course on the following date(s):
- Sexuality & Cognitive Disability Professional Learning
1 scholarship for May 22-23, 2017
For more information on eligibility and how to apply, please see our Health Professional Scholarships page.
To register for this course, participants are required to submit their expression of interest via the Enquire button below.
Upon receiving your expression of interest, we will forward to you both the:
- Student Handbook
- Registration form
Upon receiving your completed registration form, we will finalise full payment and confirm your enrollment.
For information regarding cancellation, please refer to our terms & conditions.