Intrauterine Device (IUD) insertion training is available at our Box Hill clinic and in partnership with Family Planning Victoria through a small number of other clinics.
Family Planning Victoria’s IUD insertion course consists of:
- pre-reading and completion of predisposing activity
- attendance at IUD insertion theory workshop
- IUD insertion clinical attachments with attainment of IUD insertion competency
- IUD written assessment.
Who would benefit from this course?
As IUD insertion is at the highest skill end of primary care women’s health practice, GPs are required to be at an appropriate level of experience/training to participate.
Entry requirements / Eligibility
Before commencing this training, GPs should be experienced in contraceptive counselling, IUD assessments, management of IUD problems and have well developed bimanual pelvic examination skills.
GPs at practices with the following facilities are best placed to undertake this training:
- a bed with stirrups
- a nurse to provide assistance
- sufficient numbers of women needing insertions to ensure maintenance of skills
- other doctors trained in IUD insertion to assist if there are problems.
Doctors who are planning to leave their current practice should delay training until they are established in a clinic that has the capacity to support IUD insertions.
Written and clinical skills competency based assessment.
To gain competency in IUD insertion.
Accreditation / Recognition
RACGP: Category 1 Women’s Health Points Apply.
Fees apply. Please contact Family Planning Victoria for further information.