|Mon 7 Aug – Fri 11 Aug 2017||5 days||Box Hill||Open now|
|Mon 13 Nov – Thu 16 Nov 2017||4 days*||Box Hill||Open now|
This intensive and comprehensive course for doctors, provides training for excellence in the delivery of sexual and reproductive health in primary care.
- Reproductive anatomy and physiology
- Talking about reproduction, sex and diversity
- Sexual and reproductive health matters specific to men
- Sexual and reproductive health matters specific to women
- Unintended pregnancy choices
- Sexually transmissible infections
- Legal issues around sexual assault, family violence and young people
Please download a sample course program.
The course comprises
February and August 2017 courses are five days, Monday to Friday.
* November 2017 course is four days, Monday to Thursday, with online learning prior to attending.
February and August 2017 courses: Friday 3.30-7.00pm (optional)
* November 2017 course: Thursday 3.30-7.00pm (optional)
Written exam: (short answer and multiple choice questions) 70 minutes
Role-play exam: comprising doctor/patient scenarios.
Clinical placements: Minimum of seven practical sessions (3.5 hours each).
- During the first session, the participants observes the consultation.
- In the sessions, where appropriate, the participant conducts the consultation and the FPV doctor observes.
Please note: book practical sessions at both FPV's Box Hill and Action Centre clinics.
It is possible to undertake the clinical placements in another state. In this case, please pay the theory and exam fee to FPV and contact the family planning organisation in your selected state to arrange your clinical placements.
Please note: fees and arrangements of other family planning organisations may vary from those of FPV.
Who would benefit from this course?
Entry requirements / Eligibility
Each participant must hold an MBBS or equivalent.
It is recommended that participants have completed a minimum of 1 year post internship and have some general practice or gynaecology outpatients experience.
To undertake the practical component, participants must have current medical registration with AHPRA and current medical indemnity insurance.
If you have any restrictions on your registration, please discuss these prior to registering for clinical placements to check eligibility.
The FPAA National Certificate in Reproductive and Sexual Health for Doctors is awarded to participants who successfully complete the theory, exam and clinical placements.
Participants who choose to only complete the five day theory course receive an FPV Certificate of Attendance.
“Brilliant week overall. Thought provoking and an amazing update on all things sexual health/family planning."
Accreditation / Recognition
- Theory (5 days) 40 category 1 points (women's health).
- Clinical 40 category 1 QI points (women's health).
- Theory and clinical are each accredited for 30 PRPD + 30 O&G MOPS points
Theory component has been approved for 5-day Obstetric grant (RACGP) and Obstetrics grant (ACRRM).
Clinical component has been approved for 5-day Obstetric grant (RACGP).
Theory/exam/clinical - $2370.00
Theory/exam - $1680.00
Theory only - $1440.00
Registration includes the following:
- a copy of Contraception: An Australian clinical practice handbook (4th Edition)
- 12 month membership to the Family Planning Victoria Resource Centre
- reference articles and pre-reading on USB
- Implanon NXT Insertion and removal practice on model arm (optional)
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.
Please note: our catering is not sponsored by a pharmaceutical company.
2017 Scholarship Opportunity
All scholarships have now been awarded for this course in 2017. For information on other scholarships offered by Family Planning Victoria, please see our Health Professional Scholarships page.
You may also like to subscribe to our eNewsletter to stay informed about future scholarship opportunities.
To register, please download, complete and return the registration form to the Clinical & Community Education Unit (contact details below).
Course registration requires full payment of the course fees unless other arrangements have been made with the course coordinator.
For information regarding cancellation, please refer to our terms & conditions.
901 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill