|Mon 13 Nov – Thu 16 Nov 2017||4 days*||Box Hill||Fully booked|
|Mon 5 Feb – Thu 8 Feb 2018||4 full days||Box Hill||Open now|
|Mon 6 Aug – Fri 10 Aug 2018||5 full days||Box Hill||Open now|
|Mon 12 Nov – Thu 15 Nov 2018||4 full days||Box Hill||Open now|
This intensive and comprehensive course for doctors, provides training for excellence in the delivery of sexual and reproductive health in primary care.
- Reproductive anatomy and physiology
- Talking about reproduction, sex and diversity
- Sexual and reproductive health matters specific to men
- Sexual and reproductive health matters specific to women
- Unintended pregnancy choices
- Sexually transmissible infections
- Legal issues around sexual assault, family violence and young people
Please download a sample course program.
The course comprises
Theory: The February and November theory courses consist of 4 days onsite as well as around 10 hours of online learning prior to attending.
The August theory course consists of 5 days onsite as well as around 3 hours of online learning prior to attending.
Written exam: (short answer and multiple choice questions) 70 minutes
Role-play exam: comprising doctor/patient scenarios.
Clinical placements: Minimum of seven practical sessions (3.5 hours each).
- During the first session, the participants observes the consultation.
- In the sessions, where appropriate, the participant conducts the consultation and the FPV doctor observes.
Please note: book practical sessions at both FPV's Box Hill and Action Centre clinics.
It is possible to undertake the clinical placements in another state. In this case, please pay the theory and exam fee to FPV and contact the family planning organisation in your selected state to arrange your clinical placements.
Please note: fees and arrangements of other family planning organisations may vary from those of FPV.
Who would benefit from this course?
Entry requirements / Eligibility
Each participant must hold an MBBS or equivalent.
It is recommended that participants have completed a minimum of 1 year post internship and have some general practice or gynaecology outpatients experience.
To undertake the practical component, participants must have current medical registration with AHPRA and current medical indemnity insurance.
If you have any restrictions on your registration, please discuss these prior to registering for clinical placements to check eligibility.
All course participants completing any of their clinical placement component at Family Planning Victoria sites must obtain a national police check (included in cost of course). This must be processed and passed before placement can commence, which can take over a week.
The FPAA National Certificate in Reproductive and Sexual Health for Doctors is awarded to participants who successfully complete the theory, exam and clinical placements.
Participants who choose to only complete the five day theory course receive an FPV Certificate of Attendance.
“Brilliant week overall. Thought provoking and an amazing update on all things sexual health/family planning."
Accreditation / Recognition
- Theory (5 days) 40 category 1 points (women's health).
- Clinical 40 category 1 QI points (women's health).
- Theory and clinical are each accredited for 30 PRPD + 30 O&G MOPS points
Theory component has been approved for 5-day Obstetric grant (RACGP) and Obstetrics grant (ACRRM).
Clinical component has been approved for 5-day Obstetric grant (RACGP).
Theory/exam/clinical - $2441.00 GST free
Theory/exam - $1730.00 GST free
Theory only - $1483.00 GST free
Registration includes the following:
- a copy of Contraception: An Australian clinical practice handbook (4th Edition)
- reference articles and pre-reading
- Implanon NXT Insertion and removal practice on model arm (optional)
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.
Please note: our catering is not sponsored by a pharmaceutical company.
To register, please download, complete and return the registration form to the Clinical Education Unit (contact details below).
Course registration requires full payment of the course fees unless other arrangements have been made with the course coordinator.
For information regarding cancellation, please refer to our terms & conditions.
901 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill